Thursday 26 November 2009

Back in the UK ...

I landed @ Heathrow last night, first time back in four years, and to reassure everyone back home I was safe and well, I managed to type some jetlagged nonsense into an email, which I thought I'd preserve for posterity here ...

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to send y'all my new UK number, it's gonna take me ages to remember it, but you can get me on either that or my normal Aussie number. Right, I dunno how many hours I've been up for, but I'm feeling delirious, so I think I need to go sleepies, despite the fact that Never Mind The Buzzcocks with Noel Fielding is on the telly and I can watch the latest Doctor Who on the internerd that was broadcast here last weekend and I have Time Out and a million StalkBook messages and a full day planned tomorrow ...

Flight into LHR and train journey from Heathrow was bizarrely normal and wrongly super-familiar at the same time. And then when I hopped off @ Paddington, the old Victorian station roof and blackness of the smokey air as if we were still in the coal ages blew me away. Jen, I NEARLY had dinner @ Yo Sushi! where I've texted you TWICE upon seeing Anthony Head or whatevs his name is there having lunch. But I was so excited about seeing M&S and Boots and Millie's Cookies that I decided to wait until I got to the hotel ... except, that the hotel is around the corner from Marble Arch and if you walk a couple of blocks, you find SELFRIDGES. And, as it's Christmas time, the shops on Oxford Street are all open past 9pm ... so I was shopping on Oxford St, recreating all the Doctor Who Christmas episodes that have taken place over the last couple of years in my head and grinning like a total maddie as I walked passed Next (Saralee, I didn't go in you'll be pleased to know!), H&M, Waterstones, Boots AND Superdrug and pretty much every other high street store you can name. But it was Selfridges that tempted me in, and then Pret a Manger for my dinner and some juice for breakfast tomorrow as I have no idea what state I'm going to be in after I try and get my head down in a wee bit ...

OK, speaking of, I should prob try and shut this computer and do that... Nighty night peeps, much love from this beautiful, cold, wonderfully inspiring city (gosh, i almost typed CV there!)

No comments: