Sunday 24 August 2008

My hero ...

What a lovely day out this would be ...

"Alain de Botton is a philosopher committed to the idea of making people happier. That's why - and there should be no paradox in this - he also believes that we should all learn to be extremely pessimistic. He will deliver a sermon designed to focus our minds on the absolute darkness of human experience, from the moment of birth to our last sigh, encompassing adolescence, marriage, childraising and career. He will take us through the thought of the Roman philosopher Seneca, who advised that one rise every morning and run through all the disasters that might befall one before sunset. Alain will challenge the great bourgeois promise that everyone can find happiness in love and work. While this is of course a theoretical possibility, Alain will argue that the chances of anyone succeeding in both areas (let alone in one) are extremely remote - and that it is therefore peculiar, and deeply cruel, to base our societies around these values. Indeed, in denying a place for misery and despair, the modern world denies us the possibility of collective consolation, condemning us instead to solitary feelings of shame and persecution. Come to celebrate the particular joys of pessimism. Handkerchiefs advised."

In contemplation, I should really then be thinking myself thankful for achieving both of these "great bourgeois promises" at various times in my life. It's not been that often when I've found myself despairing of the work I have to do, and there have been loves of sorts over the years to speak of as well. I am lucky enough to have a job I love at present, yet no love except for that of my friends, so on balance, things aren't really so bad after all...

Still haven't finished any of those buggery assignments though, WTF!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Oo! Oo! I'm going to that!