Sunday 3 February 2008

Updatey

Klaxons programmed rage last night, just watching it back now. Don't you love it when bands you love, love music you love? Anyways, Galaxie 500 on now, reminded me of a recent email Blair sent about listening to same so here we go.

23 is good, I don't feel much older than that most days anyways! Was watching Spooks yesterday, there was a bomb in the block of flats I use to share with Kitchen and I was 23 then. I reckon I felt about 30 sometimes then, kinda weird to look back on I suppose. Was nice to see Green Dragon Lane hadn't changed any, but sad that I had no-one to tell and share it with. Never mind it's all up there somewhere.

Just trying to get a frigging budget together for University. having the most severe fights with my parents at the moment about money. (DEPECHE MODE now!!! Fuck, these boys are even cuter than I thought they were. Did I ever tell you about the DM concert I went to? Fucking hope not.) They've got pots of cash, I could do with a decent wad to get me set up and settled, it ain't forthcoming by any stretch of the imagination. Bastards. So I will have to be a proper pauper student. There are plenty of rich guys in this town who I could pursue, the mining boom is disgusting and people are rolling in money like you wouldn't believe. I had to pay $4.50 for a coffee the other day, it would be $3.00 in Melbourne. Was a very good coffee though. I'll figure it all out, somehow. Actually, I really don't know how I will, but I know that I have to, so I have semi-faith in it.

Waiting to hear back from a friend who are playing the Big Day Out this afternoon too. I'm meant to be meeting another friend for lunch, so I'll see here and then pop down to check out some bands. It's roasting hot outside though, so I'll need to suncream up proper. The last thing I want is skin cancer, after 10 years of choosing no sun. (OK, the sexsy Klaxon boy just chose Blur, holy bugger.) Dunno who I'll catch, three of my favourite live bands are playing so maybe I'll do an all dayer if I can bear the heat. You were at that Arcade Fire show @ the GUU, weren't you? I haven't seen them since then, I don't reckon they'd ever beat that for me - especially outside in forty fucking degrees - but I still wanna see the Neon Bible stuff. And watching LCD from the side of stage at Glasto with S&D will be impossible to beat too, but heat exhaustion will be worth it I'm sure. Did you get their recent album? Beyond superb, James Murphy is a genius.

Sadly, Uni is here in Perth. The actual University campus is gorgeous, the closest you can get to Europe here in Perth, the grounds of the Arts part are Oxbridge-esque and it's on the river as well. Check it http://www.uwa.edu.au Compared to the rest of Perth, it's Paradise really. Did I tell you what I'm studying? Philosophy, Politics, Latin and European Studies. I am tossing up between doing a year here in perth then transferring to the University of Melbourne to finish off, but I may just suck up being here. UWA are very encouraging for students to do a semester o/s, so I think I'll probably accept the three years here and try and spend semester 2 of 2009 in Europe. Would love to do it in London, but I'd probably be better off going to Scandinavia, try something different. To focus on Philosophy in the UK I'd probably have to go to Bristol or Sheffield. Sheffield I ain't so keen on, Bristol would be lovely as I'd be near my closest cousin - and she's just had a baby too, so that would be super nice - but I have lived in the UK so it's probably time to try something different. Anyway, that's all moot considering I haven't even started yet! Here's hoping I love my subjects, I really can't say why I'm doing what I';m doing, they just seem so amazing and excitingly attractive. I can't quite believe I am getting the opportunity to study them, I hope it's going to be all I want it to be. My latest daydream is to double major in Philosophy and European Studies, head back to the UK and do some post-grad at a super beautiful Uni - maybe even back in Glasgie - and then a whizz-bang public sector diplomatic bollocks or something. Or just fall back into the music biz probably. Who knows. The most important thing I gotta do now is figure out how the fuck I'm going to pay for it and not have to change my lifestyle too much.

So there you go, a wee update from me...

No comments: