Tuesday 20 May 2008

An economic behaviouralist?

Now, as you know I'm not a big fan of thinking or talking about money. It's just not a priority for me. There always seems to be enough in the bank to do most things, I'm not a terribly extravagant person; unless I have pots of money like I did in Melbourne 2006 post-Glasgow flat sale, and you only have to look at my fabulous wardrobe to see what happened when I *did* have disposable income. So, it's kind of funny that this story caught my eye:-

Meet the economists who know why we buy what we buy

"One of the most exciting areas of research, behavioural economics could overturn many of the assumptions and assertions that shape modern policy-making."

I suppose it means I should really be studying psychology, but all the years of nonsense to get to the "pop" psychology would just drive me (more) nuts, so that ain't going to happen. It fits in quite well with my philosophy studies though, for all the experiments, theorising and calculating that the economists do, the irrationality of human behaviour wins through yet again. It's a silly old-school punk attitude to have, that we've stuck it to the man, but it does give me great pleasure to see individualism win out again.

I always used to think people could be sorted into little wee boxes of societies making, I've tried countless times to try and fit into this one or that one, or deliberately not fit into any (so I thought), yet it doesn't seem to matter anyway, as we're all completely irrational and individual.

Right, off to Uni to try and find myself a behavioural economist!

No comments: