Tuesday 17 June 2008

Am I the most ungrateful biatch in the world?

Fessing up time: following on from my "10 things I'd like" post, this additional one is what I really want, but didn't think I should post ...

Oops, too late now. All I can say is, just gorgeous, in that swoony kinda dreamy way ... hmmm.

Moving on to the title of this post, I came home to a box shaped article in my doorway. Not remembering that I'd ordered anything of said shape recently - I do sometimes forget - I realised that mother had been shopping and has bought a duvet cover for the duvet she bought about three weeks for my bed. I had told myself I would go and pick my very own special duvet up from my other little home in Abbotsford whilst in Melbourne last week, but I was too busy counting t-shirts instead. I don't know if I really have the time, patience or ability to type for that long, but it goes without saying that my bed and my duvet/bedding are a couple of my most favourite things in the world. The year I bought the flat and all the associated furniture pretty much culminated with the purchase and delivery of the most comfortable thing I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. It is my sanctuary. And, when I was purchasing bedding, I flew in the face of 8 years of variously toned striped blue hues and went for something that I wanted and loved, as I no longer had to please anyone other than myself. So, it ended up being a dusty kinda dark pink, which I find incredibly romantic, seductive, warm, cosy and beautiful. Ooh I found a picture ... (please excuse the Eagles Bear)


Can you see where this is heading?

Anyways, I've only been back in Perth for a year now, making do with various tripled-up blankets, an eiderdown/coverlet/piece of rubbish, a beautiful deep red covered single duvet generously donated by Amanda and when I found it at Jen's in February, my lovely snuggly pinkish throw that I had for when I first moved to Melbourne and it was freezing in Glenlyon Road. Safe to say, this bed is not my sanctuary, its just a "make do" kind of a vaguely comfortable place where I spend most of my time whilst in the house. As I can't be in my old room - too long a story to go into, most would understand and empathise, close relatives wouldn't - I reside in my brother's room which is painted a very boy-like cold blue. When I convinced Mother to purchase curtains, at least we got navy ones, so that adds some depth to the chill. However, I now have to remove all semblance of warmth as, of course, the new duvet is ...

DRUM ROLL!!!!

... blue stripes of various sizes and tones... I really don't know why I didn't contemplate that this would happen. I won't dream of mentioning it, there's far too many raised eyebrows at any movement withing this house for my liking, I feel no need to add to them just now.

So, therein lies another dilemma ... do I persist in creating excuses for *having* to go back to Melbourne in my month long holidays by adding the need for warmth and colour in my life by rescuing my duvet, despite the fact that there kind of already is one here (NOW!) that I can use? Furthermore, do I purchase the acoustic bass that can *only* be picked up from Melbourne? Do I decide that I simply *must* go and take a look around Melbourne Uni before I contemplate contacting them about their fabulous Philosophy units? Do I follow Karys' advice and book the trip, knowing full well that all these extra things are just nice little add-on excuses? I could fool myself into thinking that it's not the main reason ...

... but then I know I'd be lying too. Meh. Decisions, decisions ...

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, Katrina! And that is the most empathetic 'oh' I can write, honestly! What is it about parents? They're so ... so ... well meaning!! Doesn't it just make you want to scream sometimes!? LOL

I say, for the current manchester crisis, you buy a throw you actually do like and keep it over the doo-VEY at all times. See no evil and all that.

Jen said...

Oh my god. I totally didn't see that coming, although I'm not sure why I didn't see it a mile off!! Wish I was there to give hugs (((( ))))). What about if Jamie and I buy you a doona cover for your first semester results celebration and then at least you can swap it out occassionally??????? You can say that we already got it or something...