Wednesday 2 July 2008

Stalking

Being one of my favourite pastimes, I spend far too much time using the internet as a tool to obtain information about things, it almost always leads to what could possibly be termed "stalking" if one were to wiki the actual definition of the word. Which I won't do right now, as I believe that by not having that piece of knowledge, I can safely continue what I am doing not knowing whether it is or isn't, by definition, stalking. Isn't ignorance wonderful?

(Oh, and by the way, I think the word I was looking for yesterday was premature ...)

So, I went to find my old Friendster profile. Friendster is what Facebook was before Myspace was invented. Does that make sense? Friendster -> Myspace -> Facebook. And of course being the virtual slapper that I am, I had/have all three. I'm sure there's tonnes more like bebo and what have you, but these are the ones I have fallen victim to. I t would be rather amusing to count up ALL the hours I have spent on these flipping social networking sites, I'm thinking that since I started my first profile in 2003 that there could be months of my life wasted/utilised (depends on your perspective) in these virtual existences. Amazing things have come from having them, friendships rekindled, relationships approached, information obtained. Awful things too as well though, mainly stemming from jealousy and stalking. Even though I hardly ever use it anymore as I'm always logged in under the bands Myspace, I updated mine the other day and I am kind of regretting it now. As I look back at my Friendster one - which I think was last updated after I moved to Melbourne, so maybe late 2006 - it's funny to see how I view the world at that set moment in time. Compare that to my other profiles and there is a distinct progression. Still, lots of the friends are the same and their beautiful comments are still there even though it's not always known who they are from as some people delete their profiles. I'm going to go stoke my own ego now and read all the comments and see if I still have secret messages in my inboxes! Hey, at least I never got into Second Life ...

No comments: