Tuesday 1 July 2008

Where was i?

Oh that's right, I was going to write about some articles I've read today. However, I am going to dash off to check flights east for during my study break ... back shortly! $449 for 11th through to 22nd in Melbs. Or Perth ->Melbs -> Canberra -> Perth for $642. Maybe I should wait until I get back from this next trip before I plan my one afterwards, otherwise I'm being a little M&D about it! Plus, I don't really know what I would be going for as the band will be away, other than to visit peeps, so again, probably slightly immature? Impromptu? Improved? Geez, I hate it when my brain does this ... it's on the tip of my tongue. I still can't think of the word, but I'm sure a) you know what I mean and b) it will come to me at some ill-advised point whilst typing the next lot of nonsense.

OK, I've realised I've expended all my literaryness already this evening and I shan't be pondering on those articles. Best laid plans blah blah blah. So instead, here's the links again, you go read them and tell me what you think...

IMF finally knocks on Uncle Sam's door
- here's hoping the American financial system gets its vastly overdue comeuppance. This article deserves an award, the writing is excellent, should be how ALL investigative reports are written.

Confidence plummets as Europe catches America's cold
- very interesting investigation as to how the US downturn is affecting not only the UK but Europe as well. I wasn't very familiar with the economic situation in most EU countries, this article includes a brief history. I had no idea home ownership in Germany was so low, to be honest, that's probably a good thing, I think?

The apparent backlash against feminism
- despite its somewhat rosy tone at the end, this article is a mostly astonishing account of just how many obstacles there are for equality between the genders. The point it makes about how society seems to be celebrating pregnancy as the rightful duty of a woman is gruesomely true. I can't say I agree with the end sentiment, it tricked me into forgetting everything I had previously read in the article. Prepare to be cross, especially you Jen if you read it.

Time for resting I think?

No comments: